Spotify – Company Overview
|Headquarter||New York, USA|
|Platforms||Mobile, PC, TV, Tablets, Speakers, Cars|
|Number of Employees||7000+|
|Founders||Daniel Ek, Martin Lorentzon|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Google Play||App Store Link|
|App Store||App Store Link|
Spotify User Stats (2023)
- Spotify was the 10th most downloaded mobile app in 2022, generating 238 million new app installs across the App Store and Google Play.
- For Q3 2023, Spotify MAUs grew 26% year-over-year to 574 million, 2 million above guidance. The platform saw a net additions of 23 million for the quarter.
Spotify Subscriber Stats (2023)
- In the third quarter of 2023, Spotify’s premium subscribers grew 16% year-over-year to 226 million.
- To date, Spotify’s Clubhouse rival Greenroom has been downloaded 141,000 times on iOS and 100,000 times on Android.
- Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape of You’ is the decade’s most listened to song on Spotify with 2.5+ billion streams. (BBC)
- As of the week ending February 10, 2022, ‘Heat Waves’ by Glass Animals was the most-streamed track on Spotify with 31.67 million streams worldwide, followed by abcdefu by GAYLE and ‘STAY (with Justin Bieber)’ by The Kid LAROI with just over 27 million streams.
- According to Edison Research and its own internal sources, Spotify “recently became” the No. 1 podcast platform U.S. listeners use the most. An eMarketer research published back in March estimated that Spotify podcast listeners will outnumber Apple Podcasts’ in 2021. The report estimated that in 2021, 28.2 million people will listen to podcasts on Spotify on a monthly basis, while 28.0 million will listen via Apple Podcasts.
Spotify Artist Statistics (2023)
- As of 2023, the number of Spotify artists making over $1 million as well as those generating over $10,000 had more than doubled in the past five years. (Reuters)
- In 2021, for the second year in a row, Puerto Rican Reggaeton star Bad Bunny takes the title of most-streamed artist in the world on Spotify, with 9.1 billion streams.
- Ed Sheeran is the most followed artist on Spotify with 93+ million followers as of March 2022, followed by Ariana Grande with 76+ million.. (ChartMasters)
- Number of artists using Spotify for Artists tools on a monthly basis has grown to 690,000+, up 68% year-on-year. (Spotify)
- The number of artists who make up the top 90% of streams has grown 43% year-over-year to 43,000+.
- In 2020, Billie Eilish continued her reign as Spotify’s most-streamed female artist for the second year in a row, followed by Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. (Spotify)
- 91,000+ creators (artists) have fundraised directly from fans.
Spotify Revenue Statistics (2023)
- Spotify revenue for Q3 2023 was €3.36 billion, up 11% year-over-year. Its premium revenue grew 10% YoY to €2.91 billion. Ad-supported revenue for the third quarter grew 16% YoY to €447 million.
- Spotify revenue for the full year 2022 was €11.7 billion.
- Spotify expects to reach annual revenue of $100 billion over the next 10 years.
Spotify ARPU Stats
- Within Premium, Spotify ARPU was €4.34 in Q3 2023, down 6% Y/Y. (Spotify)
Within the second quarter 2020, Spotify announced a $20 million podcast advertising partnership with Omnicom Media Group. (MediaPost)
November 2021: Spotify to acquire audiobook platform Findaway
What is Spotify?
Available on smartphones, PCs, tablets, speakers, TVs, and cars, Spotify is one of the most popular digital content platforms helping users to discover and instant access millions of music, podcasts, and video from a variety of artists and genres worldwide.
Spotify is a free of charge service where its users can register and start searching and listening to music and podcasts without any paid subscription. In Free Spotify, users can also create playlists, add songs to favorites, and get recommendations based on what they like.
What is Spotify Premium?
Spotify Premium is Spotify’s paid subscription where users are offered more than one plans according to their usage behavior and needs. In all Spotify Premium plans, users can download music to listen offline from anywhere, enjoy music and podcasts without ad interruptions, and hit unlimited skips.
Student Plan: $5.99 per month per account offering ad-supported Hulu plan, ad-free music experience, offline listening, and on-demand playback
Individual Premium Plan: $10.99 per month per account with one month free offering ad-free listening, offline play, and on-demand playback
Spotify Duo Plan: $14.99 per month for 2 accounts with one month free, preferred by couples, offering Duo Mix, a playlist for two, regularly updated with music couples enjoy, ad free music listening, offline playing, and on-demand playback.
Family Plan: $16.99 per month for up to 6 accounts living under one roof, offering blocking music, ad-free experience, offline playing, on-demand playback, Spotify Kids for the kids under age 12, and Family Mix where the family can create a playlist regularly updated with music they love.