What is Minecraft?
Minecraft is a sandbox game developed by Swedish developer Markus Alexej Persson, published by Mojang in 2011 and acquired by Microsoft in 2014. The sandbox video game was inspired by Dwarf Fortress, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Dungeon Keeper and Infiniminer games. It was programmed in one week and published on the TIGSource forums before the public release on May 16, 2009. It gained considerable popularity among players from this forum.
Minecraft allows you to build various designs with blocks in 3-dimensional voxel graphics. In the gameplay, you can also battle mobs, construct shelter, and explore the landscape. The game also provides multiplayer mode to build together and search together.
In this article, we will share the most up-to-date revenue and player statistics of Minecraft, which is the leader in the world’s most popular games.
Minecraft Revenue Statistics
Minecraft developer Mojang was acquired by Microsoft in 2014 for $2.5 million.
- Minecraft has achieved remarkable sales of 300 million copies since it first emerged onto the gaming scene about fifteen years ago, the company announced during Minecraft Live 2023.
- In 2022, the mobile version of the popular sandbox video game Minecraft generated $102.6 million in global in-app purchase revenues. (Statista)
|Year||Minecraft Revenue on Mobile|
- The estimated 2021 Minecraft revenue was $380 million.
|Year||Minecraft Annual Revenue|
Also read: The Best Open World Games for Android
Minecraft Player Stats
39.6 million hours watched of Minecraft on Twitch worldwide in September 2023.
In September 2023, Minecraft events on Twitch were watched by an average of 55.2 thousand viewers.
As of August 2021, Minecraft amassed 141 million active players worldwide.
In fiscal year 2021, Minecraft reached 140 million monthly active users.
|Minecraft Monthly Active Users|
- Minecraft videos were viewed 201 billion times on YouTube in 2020, making it the subject of the most YouTube conversation.
- In April 2020, Minecraft increased the number of new players by 25% and it also saw a 40% increase in multiplayer sessions.