What is DoorDash?
DoorDash is an on-demand food delivery / food ordering platform which also offers takeout service from the local restaurants. Founded in 2013 by Andy Fang, Evan Moore, Stanley Tang, and Tony Xu, DoorDash aims to provide the best selection of restaurants to its users.
Via DoorDash app, users can schedule their deliveries, track a delivery in real time to see when the order will be delivered, make payment via credit card or Apple Pay. The platform offers a $0 delivery fee for the first month.
DoorDash is now available in; more than 4,000 cities and towns in the United States states including Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico; over 80 cities and towns across Canada; and also in some Australian cities including Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane.
Doordash Driver app on Google Play: Store Link
Doordash Driver app on the App Store: Store Link
|Headquarter||San Francisco, CA|
|Founders||Tony Xu, Andy Fang, Evan Moore, Stanley Tang|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Google Play||Store Link|
|Apple App Store||Store Link|
DoorDash Usage Statistics (2023)
– In the fourth quarter of 2022, DoorDash achieved record monthly active users of over 32 million, up 22% year-over-year.
– DashPass active subscribers worldwide surpassed 15 million in 2022.
- Doordash’s total orders reached 43 million at the end of Q4 2022.
- In 2021, over 6 million people dashed, earning a total of well over $11 billion.
- Doordash grew orders from non-restaurant categories by over 40% quarter-over-quarter to over 7% of total orders in the first quarter of 2021.
- Doordash ranked #2 in the most searched for food delivery services in the U.S. between February and April 2020. In April 2020, the food delivery platform had 7.48 million monthly average searches.
- In the first quarter of 2021, DoorDash completed 329 million orders.
- DoorDash had 20 million monthly active users placing at least one order in December 2020.
- As of October 2020, there are more than 310,000 restaurants and stores registered in DoorDash globally. (DoorDash)
- An average DoorDash customer spent $36 per transaction in April 2020. (CSA)
- The average delivery time of DoorDash was 30 minutes in 2020. 95% of orders delivered in under 30 minutes or less. (DoorDash)
- DoorDash worked with Mt. Sinai to offer free DashPass subscriptions to 42,000 healthcare employees. (Techcrunch)
- DoorDash partnered with Taco Bell across 5,500 locations nationwide to offer registered DoorDash users a 50% off Taco Bell’s biggest nachos boz ever, wit a $0 delivery fee if they spend $15 or more. (PR Newswire)
- According to eMarketer, the number of smartphone food delivery app users is around 44,1 million in 2020. Considering the market share of DoorDash (45%) in 2020, it is estimated that there are more than 20 million DoorDash app users in 2020.
DoorDash Revenue Statistics (2023)
DoorDash revenue for Q4 2022 was $1.81 billion, up 39.85% year-over-year. For the full year 2022, DoorDash revenue increased 34.8% to $6.58 billion.
|Doordash Annual Revenue|
- Doordash revenue for the second quarter of 2021 was $1.24 billion, up 83% from the year-earlier quarter. GAAP gross profit for Q2 2021 was $657 million, up 101% Y/Y from $327 million in Q2 2020.
- In the second quarter of 2021, Doordash reported that Total Orders grew 69% Y/Y to 345 million, and Marketplace GOV grew 70% Y/Y to $10.5 billion.
- Reported Doordash revenue for the first quarter of 2021 was $1.08 billion, up 198% year-over-year. The company reported a GAAP gross profit of $493 million, up 233% year-over-year.
- Doordash expects its 2021 gross order value to be in range of $35 billion to $38 billion. In the first quarter of 2021, the company reported Marketplace Gross Order Value of $9.9 billion, up 222% year-over-year.
- DoorDash reported a loss of 34 cents per share on revenue of $1.08 billion for its first quarter. The delivery company reported fiscal first-quarter net loss of $110 million, or 34 cents per share, narrower than the loss of $129 million, or $2.92 per share, a year earlier.
- In June 2020, DoorDash raised $400 million in a new funding round at a $16 billion valuation. (Axios)
- DoorDash offered $5,000 grants for restaurants in Chicago, Denver, New York City, San Francisco, and San Jose to help them survive winter. (QSR)
- According to The Information, DoorDash’s net annual revenue was between $900 million and about $1 billion in 2019, with ($450 million) profit.
In December 2020, Doordash went public on the New York Stock Exchange. The company’s shares popped over 80% in its first day, valuing the company at $71.3 billion, more than four times its valuation at a funding round six months ago.
|June 2020||$16 billion|
|December 2020||$71.3 billion|
Doordash Market Share
DoorDash grabbed 45% of food delivery market share in the U.S., followed by UberEats and Grubhub. (CNBC) In May 2021, DoorDash market share of US food delivery market was 57%.
|Doordash Market Share (US)|