One of the best calorie counter and weight loss apps, MyFitnessPal, launched in September 2005, aims to encourage adherence to exercise and diet goals using gamification and habit building elements. Developed by Mike Lee, to track nutrients, users can scan barcodes of various food items or manually locate them in the app’s large pre-existing database. With over 500 healthy recipes and 50 workouts, the popular app has access to 14 million foods and includes metrics to track exercise and calories.
On February 4, 2015, MyFitnessPal was acquired by Under Armor in a $475 million deal. At the time of this acquisition MyFitnessPal had 80 million users. In January 2017, founders Albert Lee and Mike Lee left the company to pursue other business ventures.
On October 30, 2020, Under Armor announced that MyFitnessPal would be sold to private equity firm Francisco Partners for $345 million, closing Endomondo, and the sale was complete in December 2020.
Also Read: Calm Revenue and Usage Statistics
|Launch Date||September 2005|
|Parent Company||Francisco Partners|
|Founders||Mike Lee, Albert Lee|
|Google Play||Store Link|
|App Store||Store Link|
MyFitnessPal Revenue Statistics
- In March 2023, MyFitnessPal was the leading fitness and sport app, generating in-app revenues of almost $11.93 million, followed by Strava ($7.31 million) and WeightWatchers ($4.63 million). (Statista)
- MyFitnessPal revenue for 2021 was $171 million, mainly driven by premium subscriptions.
MyFitnessPal Usage Statistics
- As of March 2023, MyFitnessPal was among the leading fitness and sports apps worldwide, with more than 2 million app downloads. (Statista)
- In the first half of 2022, MyFitnessPal was among the most downloaded health & fitness apps in the United States with 4.6 million installs. Despite being 14 years old, the app remains on the list of Most Downloaded Health & Fitness Apps every year since at least 2020. (Apptopia)
- MyFitnessPal was listed in Google Play’s Best of 2021 as one of the best apps for Wear.
- MyFitnessPal said it had more than 200 million users at the time of its sale to Francisco Partners. The number of users at the time the app was sold to Under Armor was 80 million.
|Year||MyFitnessPal Users (Annual)|