What is TikTok App?
TikTok is a popular short-video app that has been downloaded more than 2 billion times on the Google Play Store and Apple’s App Store.
This social media app, which has caused controversy in many markets such as India and USA due to national security concerns since the first day of its launch, first appeared as Douyin in Mainland China in 2016. A year later, in 2017, Chinese developer ByteDance acquired Musically for $1 billion and merged it into TikTok.
So, what is TikTok app used for?
TikTok offers users hundreds of effects and filters to create their short videos up to 60 seconds. Users are able to add sound clips from the apps’ vast music library to the background of their videos and share their TikToks with millions of other users in the app.
TikTok shows the most liked and engaging videos on its homepage to other users, which made it possible for the app to become quite popular and for many users to step into the world of influencer marketing gaining millions of followers in a very short time.
It’s wide user base also attracted the attention of businesses very quickly. Now, many global brands and SMEs include TikTok in their social media marketing strategies and promote their products and services using the various advertising opportunities offered by the platform.
|Headquarter||Los Angeles, California|
|Global Offices||LA, NY, London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Dubai, Mumbai, Jakarta|
|Platforms||Mobile, PC, Tablets|
|Number of Employees||5200+|
|Founded Date||2016 (Douyin), 2017 (TikTok)|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Google Play||App Store Link|
|App Store||App Store Link|
Now, let’s take a look at the latest Tiktok revenue and usage statistics.
TikTok User & Usage Stats (2022)
– TikTok became the most downloaded non-game app worldwide in Q1 2022 across Google Play and the App Store.
TikTok announced on September 27 that reached 1 billion monthly active users globally this summer, marking a 45% jump since July 2020. The United States, Europe, Brazil and Southeast Asia are the biggest markets for the popular social media app.
✨ 1 billion✨ people on TikTok! Thank you to our global community 🎉♬ original sound – TikTok
|Year||TikTok Monthly Active Users|
According to Sensor Tower, TikTok reached 740 million first-time installs worldwide in 2021, down 25% from 980.7 million in 2020.
– TikTok’s global users have overtaken those of Snapchat and Twitter in 2021, marking it the third largest social network worldwide behind Facebook and Instagram.
– TikTok became the world’s most visited site in 2021, surpassing last year’s leader Google.
– TikTok became the most downloaded app worldwide on Christmas day 2021.
– As of July 2021, with the 3 billion install milestone, TikTok is the fifth non-game app to join a tier that’s historically been the exclusive domain of Facebook.
– TikTok’s first-time downloads climbed 2 percent Q/Q to 177.5 million in Q1 2021, and surged 16 percent Q/Q to 205.4 million Q2 2021, the most growth the app has seen since its record-breaking Q1 2020 when it accumulated more than 315 million installs.
– As of March 2021, 50.6 percent of Android TikTok app owners in the United States accessed the video sharing app on a daily basis. According to App Ape, 77.1% of U.S. TikTok audiences were monthly active users of the app. (Statista)
– According to recent industry data, Peru was the fastest-growing iOS TikTok market, as February 2021 downloads of the video sharing app increased more than 120.4 percent compared to previous month. During this period, TikTok generated 52.9 thousand downloads via the Apple App Store in Peru. The global number of monthly iOS TikTok downloads amounted to 11.4 million. (Statista)
– Poland was the fastest-growing TikTok market based on downloads with Google Play, as February 2021 downloads of the video sharing app in the country increased 88.6 percent compared to the previous month. Polish Android users downloaded TikTok a total of almost 434 thousand times during the measured period. (Statista)
– The mobile app of TikTok has been downloaded over 2 million times on the major app markets. It also broke a new record by getting 315 million app installs and became the most downloaded app in the first quarter of 2020. (Show More)
– Douying, the Chinese version of TikTok, has 400 million daily active users in Mainland China. (TechCrunch)
– Chinese users account for 80% of the total amount of time spent in the short video app. (AppAnnie)
– It is available in more than 150 countries around the world and it supports 39 languages. (TikTok)
– As of September 2021, Charli d’Amelio was the most popular TikToker on the platform with over 123.5 million followers. (Statista)
What is the most liked video on TikTok? (2021)
The most liked video on TikTok in 2021 was by @moonlight4.6.
@danieltbraun Answer @Subani Moktan This is my most viewed in 2021… who remembers?? #foryou #viral ♬ original sound – Daniel Braun
TikTok Revenue Statistics (2022)
– In Q1 2022, TikTok generated $821 million in global consumer spending across the App Store and Google Play. (Sensor Tower)
– TikTok users spent $2.3 billion in the popular short-video app in 2021, including the iOS version of its Chinese localization Douyin, up 77% YoY from $1.3 billion in 2020.
– In the first half of 2021, TikTok generated an estimated $919.2 million in consumer spending. Consumer spending in TikTok has now surpassed $2.5 billion globally.
– In Q2 2021, TikTok saw its biggest quarter-over-quarter growth in consumer spending since Q2 2020, climbing 39% to $534.6 million from $384.7 million in the previous quarter.
– Shopping on TikTok increased by 553% in the last 12 months.
– TikTok generated nearly 1.84 million U.S. dollars in app revenues in Saudi Arabia via Google Play in February 2021. Saudi Arabia accounted for 24 percent of TikTok’s revenues throughout the Google Play store during the measured period. (Statista)
– ByteDance aims to handle more than $185 billion of e-commerce annually by 2022, building on the reach of social media wunderkinds TikTok and Douyin. (Bloomberg)
– Investors of ByteDance value TikTok at $50 billion. (Reuters)
– TikTok generated nearly 2.1 million U.S. dollars in U.S. app revenues from iOS in February 2021. The United States accounted for 44 percent of TikTok’s revenues throughout the Apple App Store. (Statista)
– ByteDance reported a $5.6 billion increase in its revenue in the first quarter of 2020. (Business Insider)
– In February 2020, TikTok’s lifetime user spending reached $300 million. (Statista)
– TikTok generated $78 million from in-app purchases in April 2020. (Show More)
– Its U.S. revenues expected to reach 500 million in 2020. (The Information)
– In 2019, China was TikTok’s biggest revenue source with $122.9 million coming from iOS users. During the same time period, U.S. users spent $36 million and UK users spent $4.2 million. ( Sensor Tower)