What is Snapchat?
Snapchat is a mobile messaging app, lets users capture videos and photos (called snaps) that disappear after they are viewed, add lenses or filters, and share with the friends. Since its launch in 2011, the popular messaging app has added plenty of new features including:
- Games where users can start, invite friends in, and chat and video chat with friends while playing.
- Polls and quizzes that users can add to their snaps
- Snap Map that users can see where their friends are hanging out
- Snap Minis enabling users to perform many actions including meditation and studying together with their friends without having to leave Snapchat
- Discover features where users can watch breaking news and exclusive Original Shows
- Integration that allows Reddit users to share Reddit posts in their Snapchat stories
Snapchat is also testing some Instagram-like features including adding licenced music to the snaps.
After downloading and signing up to the Snapchat app, users can upload their contacts from their smartphone, add manually by searching, or take a picture of a friend’s Snapcode (a QR code which is unique to each Snapchat user).
Photo and video messages disappear after they are viewed but recipients can take a screenshot of a message. When a message’s screenshot is taken, the sender is notified.
Deleting Snapchat account: In order for deactivating a Snapchat account, users can go to Snapchat’s accounts portal and delete their account. Deleted accounts are deactivated for 30 days after 30 days they are permanently deleted. If you want to reactivate your account, you need to log in to your account within 30 days of deactivating your account. Snapchat says it can take up to 24 hours to reactivate a deactivated account.
What does sfs mean on Snapchat?
SFS on Snapchat stands usually for “shoutout for shoutout” or “snap for snap”. It means a user looks for a shoutout. SFS is used to share a video or picture with others to post on their stories. The motivation here is to increase the number of followers and views.
What does WCW mean on Snapchat?
WCW stands for ‘Woman Crush Wednesday’. Snapchat users use the WCW caption to share an important person, a celebrity, or a significant other. Corresponding acronym for man is MCM, stands for Man Crush Monday.
What does streaks mean on Snapchat?
Also known as Snapstreaks, streaks on Snapchat means you and your friend have Snapped each other within 24 hours for more than 3 consecutive days. The number next to the 🔥(Fire) emoji indicates the number of days you’ve been on a Snapstreak for. Snaps sent to a group, and snaps sent with memories and spectacles content to other users do not count towards your Snapstreaks.
What do the Snapchat emojis mean?
The emojis appearing next to your friend’s names mean different things than the real meanings of emojis as we know them. Snapchat emojis are a result of the interpretation of the behavior between you and your friend.
Friend Emojis on Snapchat
😊 BFs: Means they are one of your best friends. You are sending a lot of snaps to them.
💕 Super BFF: Means you’ve been each other’s best best friend for 2 months in a row.
❤️ BFF: Means you’ve been each other’s best best friend for 2 weeks in a row.
💛 Besties: Means you are number one best friend of each other.
😬 Mutual Besties: Means you are also their number one best friend.
😎 Mutual BFs: Means you both have a common number one best friend.
🎂 Birthday: This is your best friend’s birthday.
🔥 Snapstreak!: Means you and your friend have Snapped each other within 24 hours for more than 3 consecutive days.
⌛️ Snapstreak is ending: Means your Snapstreak with your friend will end soon. You both need to send photos and videos to each other within 24h to keep your Snapstreak.
How to Change Snapchat Username
Starting February 23rd, Snap Inc starts allowing users to change username through the Android and iOS app. Here you can find how to change Snapchat username.
Snap Inc. – Company Overview
|Headquarter||Santa Monica, California|
|Platforms||Mobile, PC, Tablets|
|Number of Employee||4500+|
|Founders||Evan Spiegel, Reggie Brown, Bobby Murphy|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Google Play||Store Link|
|Apple App Store||Store Link|
Snapchat User Stats (2022)
– At the end of June 2022, Snap launched Snapchat+, its paid subscription plan, which includes exclusive, experimental, and pre-release features. In the first 6 weeks of the launch of Snapchat+, which costs $3.99 per month, the number of paid subscribers exceeded 1 million.
– Snap DAUs were 347 million in the second quarter of 2022, up 54 million, or 18% YoY.
– In the second quarter of 2022, 34% of Snapchat’s U.S. active downloads opened the app every day. (Sensor Tower)
– Snap DAUs increased 18% year-over-year to 332 million at the end of the first quarter of 2022. DAUs increased sequentially and year-over-year in each of North America, Europe, and Rest of World.
– Snap DAUs were 319 million in Q4 2021, up 54 million, or 20%, YoY. Year-over-year growth in DAUs has been 20% or more for five consecutive quarters. DAUs increased sequentially and year-over-year in each of North America, Europe, and Rest of World.
– In Q1 2022, over 250 million Snapchatters engaged with augmented reality every day on average.
– Snap Inc announced in late October that it it has amassed 100 million monthly active users in India.
– Snapchat’s daily active users were 306 million in the third quarter 2021, an increase of 57 million, or 23%, year-over-year. Snap reported that year-over-year growth in DAUs has exceeded 20% for four consecutive quarters.
– Snapchat’s DAUs were 280 million in Q1 2021, an increase of 51 million, or 22%, year-over-year.
– For the first time, the majority of Snapchat’s DAUs for the first quarter of 2021 were on the Android version of its social media app.
– Each daily active user spends over 30 minutes daily on Snapchat. (Snap Inc.)
– As of March 31, 2021, every day, more than 5 billion snaps are created.
– More than 200 million daily active users engage with augmented reality every day on average.
– An average Snapchat user opens the app 30 times a day.
– Over 75% of the 13-34 year old U.S. population uses Snapchat. (Snap Inc.)
– As of April 2022, India had the biggest Snapchat user base in the world, with an audience of 144.35 million users.
– 90% of the 13-24 year old U.S. population uses Snapchat. (Snap Inc.)
– More than 180 million daily active users engage with AR every day on average on Snapchat. (Snap Inc.)
– Snapchat users opened Snapchat around 30 times every day in Q2 2020. (Snap Inc.)
– The daily average number of Snapchat users over the age of 35 engaging with Discover content increased by over 40% year-over-year in Q2 2020. (Snap Inc.)
– Snap Map has reached more than 200 million Snapchat users every month. (Snap Inc.)
– From its launch in April 2019 to the end of the second quarter of 2020, Snap Games were played by 100 million Snapchat users. (Snap Inc.)
– Number of daily active users at the end of the first quarter of 2020 was 229 million, an increase of 39 million year-on-year. (Snap Inc.)
– In the Q1 2020, more than 4 billion Snaps were created daily. (Snap Inc.)
– In March 2020, more than 20 million Snapchat users watched Snap Original “Nikita Unfiltered”. (Snap Inc.)
– Snapchat app in the App Store and Google Play saw around 28.5 million new downloads in August 2020, the single largest month for the first-time downloads since May 2019, with 41.2 million new installs. (Techcrunch)
– At the end of the first quarter of 2020, more than 900,000 Lenses had been created through Lens Studio, up from over 700,000 at the end of Q4 2019. (Snap Inc.)
– Daily downloads of Snap Camera, the desktop app allowing people to add the entire suite of Lenses to whichever video service they use, saw a 30x increase. (Snap Inc.)
Snapchat Revenue Statistics (2022)
– Snap revenue for Q2 2022 was $1,111 million, up 13% year-over-year, missed analyst’s expectations.
– Snap announced on May 2022 that it is acquiring Toronto-based KeyDB, the developer of an open source, high-performance database, for an undisclosed sum. (Techcrunch)
– Snapchat revenue for Q1 2022 increased 38% to $1,063 million, compared to the prior year. Net loss was $360 million, compared to $287 million in the prior year.
– Snapchat revenue for Q4 2021 increased 42 percent to $1.3 billion in Q4 2021, compared to the prior year. For the full year 2021, Snap revenue increased 64% to $4.1 billion in 2021, compared to the prior year.
– Snap reported that average revenue per user (ARPU) increased 18% YoY to reach $4.06 in Q4 2021.
– Snapchat revenue for the third quarter of 2021 was $1,067 million, up 57% compared to the previous year. Net loss improved 64% YoY to $(72) million in Q3 2021.
– Snap Inc. reported a 66% increase in revenue with $770 million in the period ended March 31, 2021.