What is GTA 5?
GTA 5 (aka Grand Theft Auto V or GTA V) is an online action adventure video game developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games in 2013. The seventh main game in the Grand Theft Auto franchise, set in the fictional state of San Andreas, based on Southern California.
GTA 5 Release Date: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Rockstar Games
Developer: Rockstar North
Platforms: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Microsoft Windows, Xbox Series X and Series S, Xbox One, Xbox 360
GTA 5 Revenue Statistics (2023)
How many copies of GTA 5 sold?
- As of February 2023, GTA 5 has sold more than 175 million units worldwide.
- By the end of Q3 2022, GTA 5 reached 170 million copies sold worldwide, with 5 million of which coming in the third quarter. Total sales of all GTA games reached 385 million in Q3.
- At the end of 2021, GTA 5 reached more than 160 million copies sold worldwide, with 5 million of those sales coming in the last quarter of the year. The series as a whole reached 370 million units since its release.
|Cumulative Unit Sales|
|February 2023||175 millon|
|November 2022||170 million|
|May 2022||165 million|
|December 2021||160 million|
|August 2021||150 million|
|May 2020||130 million|
|May 2019||110 million|
|February 2018||90 million|
|May 2017||80 million|
|February 2016||60 million|
|August 2015||54 million|
|January 2015||40 million|
- GTA V topped $1 billion in retail sales in its first three days, making it the fastest-selling video game in history. (CNet)
- GTA V parent company Take-Two Interactive reported a revenue of $903.3 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2021. The company said the largest contributors to revenue were NBA® 2K22 and NBA 2K21; Grand Theft Auto® Online and Grand Theft Auto V.
- Take-Two reported a total net bookings of $866.1 million for Q4 2021, up 6% year-over-year. The largest contributors to Net Bookings were NBA 2K22; Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V.
- In January 2022, Take-Two announced the acquisition of Zynga for a total value of $9.861 per share – $3.50 in cash and $6.361 in shares of Take-Two common stock, implying an enterprise value of $12.7 billion.
- GTA 5 was among the best selling Steam games of 2021.
GTA 5 Player Statistics (2023)
+ In February 2023, GTA V reached 174 thousand concurrent players on Stream.
+ Grand Theft Auto V events on the video streaming service Twitch were watched for a combined 89 million hours in February 2023. (Statista)
+ In December 2022, summit1g was the top-ranked Grand Theft Auto V streamer on Twitch, having accumulated over 6 million viewer hours on the platform during the preceding 30 days.
+ Grand Theft Auto V was the top streamed game of 2021 with 2.73 billion hours watched across Twitch, YouTube Gaming, and Facebook Gaming.