Steam Revenue and User Statistics (2023)

Steam, which allows players all over the world to have all kinds of different games digitally, is an online game distribution platform owned by Valve, one of the biggest stakeholders in the game world. Launched in September 2003, the platform is among the most popular distribution services in the world, thanks to its awe-inspiring features such as local pricing and official support for many countries’ currencies. 

Also Read: Everything You Need to Know About Steam

Launch Date: September 12, 2003

Parent Company: Valve Corporation

Steam User Statistics 

+ On Saturday, January 7th, Steam surpassed previous user milestones by reaching 10,082,055 active in-game players and 32,186,301 concurrent online users.

+ Steam broke another record in terms of concurrent users on November 26, 2022. According to the official Steam data, while the record was broken, 31.3 million were playing games at the same time.

+ On October 23, 2022, Steam reached a new milestone with 30 million concurrent users, 8.5 million of which were in-game. The platform reached a total of 30,012,957 users online at the same time. 

DateSteam Concurrent Users
January 202332.2 million
November 202231.3 million
October 202230 million
January 202229 million
November 202127 million
December 202024.8 million
December 201917.6 million
June 201817.2 million
September 201715.6 million
September 201612.6 million
August 201510 million
August 20147.2 million
January 20136.6 million

+ In 2021, Steam reached 132 million monthly active users globally. 

Statistic: Number of monthly active users on gaming platform Steam worldwide from 2017 to 2021 (in millions) | Statista

Steam Game Statistics 

+ In the first eight months of 2022, 7,123 games were released on Steam. On the platform, which only 7 games were published in the year it launched, 1582 games were released in 2014.

YearNumber of Games Released on Steam
September 20227123

+ 70 games released in the first half of 2022 have generated more than $1 million on Steam. 80% of all games released in 2021 generated less than $5,000 in gross revenue, and only 1,16% have earned over $1 million. (

Steam Revenue Statistics (2022)

+ In 2021, Steam sold around 439 million games on its platform (excluding free downloads). It is estimated that Steam game revenue for 2021 was over $10 million. Analysts expect that Steam revenue will decline in 2022 due to macroeconomic factors. The platform generated $3.1 billion in the first half of 2022  (including the platform’s fees, but excluding IAPs), up 3% year-over-year. 

+ In 2021, Steam’s average revenue per user was $23.66, according to Statista. The platform’s ARPU was estimated to drop to $19.35 by 2027. 

In 2021, platform sales were estimated to account for 74.4 percent of Steam revenue, with in-game microtransactions accounting for the remaining 25.6 percent. (Statista)

Written by Sophie Blake


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


New All-Time Peak: Steam hits 10 million concurrent in-game players

The 18 Best Free Multiplayer PC Games