Airbnb started in 2008 with two designers with a place to share, hosting three travelers looking for a place to stay. It is an e-commerce platform based on accommodation and service that brings together owners who want to rent their homes and people looking for accommodation in that area for a limited time.
Founders: Brian Chesky, Joe Gebbia, Nathan Blecharczyk
Founded Date: 2008
Headquarter: San Francisco, California
Number of Employees: 10000+
Crunchbase Profile: Profile Link
Airbnb Usage Statistics (2021)
- For the first quarter of 2021, Airbnb guests booked 64.4 million nights and experiences, representing a year-over-year increase of 13%. Four million hosts have listed 5.6 million properties around the world. (Yahoo Finance)
- Active listings on Airbnb in non-urban areas in Q1 2021 increased almost 30% from the same period in 2019.
- In May 2021, Airbnb and Vrbo’s US downloads rose 38% and reached 1.8 million. They’re projected to hit 11.3 million downloads in the first half of 2021.
- As of September 2020, there are 5.6 million active listings in 100,000 cities in more than 220 countries and regions on Airbnb. (Airbnb)
|Number of Airbnb Listings|
|2020 (September)||5.6 million|
- As the coronavirus pandemic forced consumers to stay home, Airbnb customers canceled more than $1 billion in bookings as of June 2020. (Fortune)
- As of September 2020, an average host has earned $7,900 annually through Airbnb.
- From its launch in August 2008 to October 2020, hosts on Airbnb have earned more than $ 110 billion in total.
- As of September 2020, the number of hosts all-time on Airbnb exceeded 4 million.
- In week 14 of 2020, short-term rental bookings on the Airbnb platform saw a 95 percent drop over the previous year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. (Statista)
- In 2019, Airbnb bookings more than quadrupled since 2015. (Statista)
Airbnb Revenue Statistics (2021)
- Airbnb revenue for the second quarter of 2021 climbed to $1.3 billion compared with $335 million in the same period last year. nIts et loss narrowed to $68 million in Q2 2021, compared with a loss of $576 million in the year-earlier period. (WSJ)
- Adjusted EBITDA in Q2 2021 was $217 million. Adjusted EBITDA margin was 16%, an increase of 20% (or 2000 bps) compared to Q2 2019.
|Q2 2021||$1.3 billion|
|Q1 2021||$887 million|
- Airbnb revenue for the first quarter of 2021 was $887 million, up 5% year-over-year. The company reported a net loss of $1.2 billion for the same time period.
- Airbnb gross booking value increased 52% to $10.3 billion in the first quarter of 2021.
- Airbnb filed for an initial public offering in November 2020.
- During the nine months ended September 30, Airbnb reported a revenue of $2.5 billion, down 32% year over year due to the coronavirus pandemic. (S-1 Filing)
- During the nine months ended September 30, 2020, reported a net cash used in operating activities of $490.6 million, a decrease of $909.7 million year over year. (S-1 Filing)
- Airbnb opened at $146 on the Nasdaq, far above the IPO price of $68 per share that raised $3.5 billion for the company. The stock hit a high of $165 and closed at $144.71. (Reuters)
- Shares of Airbnb Inc more than doubled in their stock market debut in the second week of December 2020, valuing the home rental firm at just over $100 billion in the biggest U.S. initial public offering (IPO) of 2020 and capping a bumper year in which investors flocked to tech stocks.