Tencent games including “PUBG Mobile” and “Call of Duty Mobile”, which were recently removed from the Huawei app store following a revenue sharing dispute, have been reinstated to the AppGallery. In a statement on the subject, Tencent said that “both sides will continue to work together to bring better experiences and services to consumers”.
According to Reuters, Huawei was insisting on a 50% cut of Tencent’s game sales on the app store and the Tencent games were removed because the companies had been unable to agree a deal.
Huawei is known to be the leader in the smartphone market in China with a 43% market share. On the other hand, Tencent is the publisher company of many popular mobile games such as ‘PUBG Mobile’, ‘Monster Hunter: World’, ‘Call of Duty Mobile’ and ‘Arena of Valor’. It is also the umbrella company of the names behind games such as ‘League of Legends’ and ‘Clash of Clans’. Therefore, the conflict between the two affected many mobile players, especially in China.
Huawei, in a statement to Bloomberg, stated that the company’s legal department had proposed the decision, as Tencent demanded to stop the cooperation. In its statement, Tencent had said that “Due to the failure to renew the contract between Huawei’s mobile game platform and our “Mobile Game Promotion Project Agreement”, related products of Tencent Games were suddenly removed from the shelves early this morning. At present, we are actively communicating and negotiating with Huawei’s mobile gaming platform, and strive to recover as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to all users.” .
Following this, all mobile games under the roof of the company were removed from the Huawei app store on January 1, 2021. Following the negotiations between the two, Tencent games have been reinstated to Huawei AppGallery.