What is Google Play Store?
Designed for millions of mobile phone users with android operating system, Google Play Store is an app store operated and developed by Google, which is used to download many different applications or games to android devices, either free or paid.
Launched in October 2008, Google Play Store is the biggest app store in the world in terms of the number of apps available on the platform.
Google Play Store App Statistics
+ As of the first second quarter of 2022, there were more than 3.5 million mobile apps in the Google Play Store, up more than 6% as compared to the previous quarter.
+ Google Play accounted for 77% of all 2 million new apps and games released in 2021.
+ In 2021, top 10 apps worldwide by downloads in Google Play Store were Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp, Messenger, Telegram, Snapchat, Zoom, WhatsApp Business, and CapCut, respectively.
+ As of the first quarter of 2021, the number of available gaming apps in the Google Play Store was 477,877, up 11.90% as compared to the previous quarter.
+ In the second quarter of 2022, games were the most popular app category in the Google Play Store, accounting for 13.63% of available apps worldwide, followed by education apps with a 9.31% share. (Statista)
+In the third quarter of 2021, the Google Play Store saw a 2.1% year-on-year decline in the first-time app installs from 28.2 billion to 27.6 billion.
Also Read: App Download Statistics
Google Play Store Revenue Statistics
– Google Play Store revenue for the second quarter of 2022 declined 7.4% from $23 billion to $21.3 billion.
– Google Play reached approximately $10.7 billion in global consumer spending in Q1 2022, down 8.5% YoY from $11.7 billion in Q1 2021.
– In 2021, global consumer spending on Google Play reached $47.9 billion, up 23.5% year-over-year. (Sensor Tower)
– In 2021, consumer spending in mobile games across Google Play was $37.3 billion, up 16.6% year-over-year.
– In the third quarter of 2021, Google Play saw consumer spending grow 18.6% year-over-year from $10.2 billion to $12.1 billion.
– In the first half of 2021, Google Play Store generated approximately $23.4 billion from in-app purchases, subscriptions, and premium apps and games. Google Play’s revenue in H1 2021 has grown 30 percent from $18 billion in the first half of 2020, more than 4 percentage points higher than the 26.8 percent growth experienced last year when compared to the same period in 2019.
– In the first half of 2021, global consumer spending in mobile games on the Google Play Store increased 24.7% to 18.7 billion.
– Sensor Tower estimates that consumer spending across the App Store and Google Play will surpass $32.8 billion in the second quarter of 2021.
Google Play Store Download Statistics
In the first half of 2022, Google Play apps generated 55.3 billion downloads.
– In Q1 2022, Google Play saw 28.3 billion app downloads. Mobile game downloads on Google Play Store in the first quarter of 2022 reached 12.03 billion, up 2.1%.
– In 2021, global downloads of mobile apps and games across Google Play reached 111.3 billion, up 2.6% year-over-year.
– First-time installs on Google Play climbed 6 percent year-over-year to 56.2 billion in the first half of 2021 from 53 billion in the year-ago period.
– In the first half of 2021, app adoption on Google’s marketplace was nearly 3.5 times higher than that seen on Apple’s store.
– In the first quarter of 2021, Google Play Store app installs surpassed 28.2 billion with a 15.3% yearly growth.
– In the first half of 2021, new mobile game downloads on the Google Play Store grew 3.9% to 23.7 billion.
– More than 1 billion mobile games were downloaded across Play Store and App Store every week during the first quarter of 2021.