Founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph as a DVD rental service, Netflix launched the video streaming product we know today in 2007. The company, which has 230.75 million paid subscribers worldwide as of Q4 2022, has a market cap of $131.23 billion in December 2022. In this article, you can find the most up-to-date revenue and subscriber statistics for Netflix, with past comparisons and future forecasts.
|Founders||Reed Hastings, Marc Randolph|
|Headquarter||Los Gatos, CA|
|Number of Employees||14,000+|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Stock Symbol||NASDAQ: NFLX|
- As of March 2023, Netflix’s share of viewing in the US in TV amounted to 7%.
- For the third quarter of 2023, Netflix reported revenue of $8.54 billion, up 7.8% year-over-year, with $1,916 million in operating income.
- Squid Game, released on September 17, 2021 on Netflix, has become Netflix’s biggest TV show ever, with 142 million member households watching worldwide. It has been ranked $1 Netflix program in 94 countries, including the United States.
- Netflix’s Squid Game is estimated to create an almost $900 million in value for the streaming service, according to Bloomberg.
- Netflix has also started to focus on games for mobile devices. It started testing mobile games in its Android app in Poland in August 2021. As part of its gaming efforts, the Netflix acquired Night School Studio, independent game developer best known for its branching narratives like Oxenfree.
- Netflix has started to focus on games for mobile devices. It started testing mobile games in its Android app in Poland. As part of its gaming efforts, Netflix acquired Night School Studio in September 2021, independent game developer best known for its branching narratives like Oxenfree.
- In March 2022, Netflix acquired Finnish mobile game developer Next Games, for a total equity value of approximately €65 million.
- In March 2022, Netflix acquired Texas-based mobile game developer Boss Fight Entertainment, for an undisclosed sum.
- In November 2022, Netflix acquired Seattle-based cozy games maker Spry Fox.
Also Read: All Netflix Video Games You Can Play Today
Netflix Revenue Statistics
Netflix revenue for Q3 2023 was $8.54 billion, an increase of 7.8%.
|Q3 2023||$8.54 billion|
|Q2 2023||$8.19 billion|
|Q1 2023||$8.16 billion|
|Q4 2022||$7.85 billion|
|Q3 2022||$7.93 billion|
|Q2 2022||$7.97 billion|
|Q1 2022||$7.87 billion|
|Q4 2021||$7.7 billion|
|Q3 2021||$7.5 billion|
|Q2 2021||$7.34 billion|
|Q1 2021||$7.16 billion|
Netflix’s revenue estimate for the third quarter of 2023 is $8.52 billion, up 7.5% year-over-year.
Netflix Annual Revenue
Netflix reported an annual revenue of $32 billion in 2022.
- Netflix ARPU for Q3 2023 was down 1% year over year as compared to Q3 2022.
ARPU by Region in Q3 2023
In Q3 2023, Netflix ARPU in North America amounted to $16.29. By comparison, streaming memberships in Latin America brought in just $7.6.
In Q2 2021, Netflix revealed that its average monthly revenue per paying streaming customer in North America amounted to 14.54 U.S. dollars. By comparison, streaming memberships in Latin America brought in just 7.5 U.S. dollars per month on average.
Netflix User Statistics
- In Q3 2023, Netflix’s global streaming paid memberships reached 247.15 million, up 10.8% year-over-year
|Quarter||Netflix Subscribers Worldwide|
|Q3 2023||247.15 million|
|Q2 2023||238.39 million|
|Q1 2023||232.50 million|
|Q4 2022||230.75 million|
|Q3 2022||223.09 million|
|Q2 2022||220.67 million|
|Q1 2022||221.64 million|
|Q4 2021||221.84 million|
|Q3 2021||213.56 million|
|Q2 2021||209 million|
|Q1 2021||207.64 million|
- In Q4 2022, Netflix reached 230.75 million global streaming paid memberships, up 4% year-over-year. The company added 7.66 million new subscribers in the fourth quarter 2022.
- In the third quarter of 2022, Netflix added 2.4 million new paid subscribers, bringing total subscribers to 223.09 million, up 4.5% year-over-year.
- In Q1 2022, Netflix lost 200,000 subscribers. The company expects to lose another 2 million in Q2 2022.
- In Q4 2021, Netflix reached 221.84 million subscribers.
- The streaming giant added 4.4 million paid net adds (vs. 2.2 million in Q3’20) to end the third quarter with 214 million paid Netflix memberships worldwide. The company under-forecasted paid net subscribers for the quarter (4.4 million actual vs. its 3.5 million projection), while ending paid memberships of 214 million was within 0.4% of its forecast.
Netflix Annual Subscribers Worldwide
At the end of 2022, Netflix subscribers amounted to 230.75 million.
Netflix Subscribers by region
In the third quarter of 2023, Netflix revealed that it had 77.32 million paying streaming subscribers in the United States and Canada, making North America the company’s second-largest market in the world after Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
Monthly Active Users of Netflix Apps
- In Q1 2022, Netflix continued to have the most monthly active users (MAUs), with 39% market share in the United States.
- In the first half of 2021, Netflix mobile app on both iOS and Android lost some of its monthly active users (MAU) worldwide. Between January and June 2021, Netflix mobile app on Android went from more than 112 million MAU to roughly 91 million, down by 19 percent. Monthly active users of the app on iPhone and iPad combined experienced a slower decrease, passing from 92.5 million monthly active users to roughly 90 million as of June 2021.
Most Watched Netflix Originals TV Series
Squid Game has become the most watched Netflix TV show ever, with 142 million member households watching worldwide.
|TV Series||Hours Viewed|
|Squid Game S1||1.65 billion|
|Stranger Things S4||1.35 billion|
|Money Heist (La Casa de Papel) S5||792.2 million|
|Bridgerton S2||656.3 million|
|Bridgerton S1||625.5 million|
|Money Heist (La Casa de Papel) S4||619 million|
|Stranger Things S3||582.1 million|
|Lucifer S5||569.5 million|
Most Watched Netflix Movies
|Movie||Worldwide View Hours|
|Red Notice||364 million hours|
|Don’t Look Up||359.8 million hours|
|Bird Box||282 million hours|
|Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery||273.2 million hours|
|The Gray Man||253.9 million hours|
|The Adam Project||233.2 million hours|
|Extraction||231.3 million hours|
|Purple Hearts||228.7 million hours|
|The Unforgivable||214.7 million hours|
|The Irishman||214.6 million hours|